Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Life is not a sandbox

There are times when I find myself in situations with people I don't necessarily like or even want to tolerate and my tongue becomes minced meat from biting it so much. Yes, shocking, I know... but I don't always say what's on my mind at the moment the thought crosses it.

I'm not 21 anymore. 

Over the years I have mellowed dramatically (trust me, if you knew me back then you would know just how much I've chilled out) and choose not to engage with stupid people.


It's not easy because I am extremely passionate about my beliefs however when I see hypocrisy and arrogance and, oh the drama, let's not forget that, I must make a choice about how I will deal with it. 

And so, I've decided to leave the sandbox. 

This really isn't that big of a step for me. Being FIERCE means leaving the petty bullshit behind, focusing on improving yourself, not concerning yourself with other people's drama, and letting the children keep their pails and shovels. 



How to know it's time to leave the sandbox:

  • When the people you associate have little or no respect or empathy for other people and you're not OK with that
  • If you find yourself questioning why you associate with them in the first place
  • If you have to process a conversation after it's over and realize that what was said does not match up to your beliefs or standards
  • If you're developing traits or characteristics that aren't beneficial to your overall development as a direct result of associating with someone
  • If your train of thought wanders to constant negativity or you're immersing yourself in their drama
  • If even thinking about someone causes you to physically tense up or become stressed

.... It's time to leave that sandbox.

I saw this tweet the other day from the beautyful Esther Bartkiw


This applies to anyone you are in a relationship with. If you're not bringing out the best in someone or someone triggers your most negative personality traits, you need to reconsider why you are in that relationship. 

After all, life is too short to surround yourself with toxic people.

Return to You Are FIERCE


No comments:

Post a Comment