Wednesday, May 9, 2012

10 Women I Would Have LOVED to Have as a Mom

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't change my who my mom is because despite all the bullshit growing up her choices put me on the path I needed to be on to become who I am today.

However.

There were times when I was growing up that I wished I had a different mom, any other mom, and although I don't wish that now, I do think these women are amazing role models and probably (would be) pretty fuckin' awesome Moms!

1. Oprah!
Hellz YAH I'd love to call Oprah "Mom!" Think of all the valuable life lessons she could pass on to you - and ONLY you - plus imagine the gifts at Christmas! Aside from the financial *woot woot* gain of being Oprah's kid, I would love to bask in all of her awesomeness, soak up her wisdom, and elevate my spirit by being around her. She strikes me as very maternal. Maybe that's just me?


2. Princess Diana
I'm not gonna lie, when I was 6 years old I really, REALLY wanted her to be my mom. Her aura was so soft, so gentle, and like millions of other people, I was drawn to her warm, generous nature. Seeing how she treated people and how people responded to her was fascinating to me because in a lot of ways she reminded me of my grandmother except my grandma wasn't a princess. But the idea of having a princess for a mom wasn't so awful, either.




3. Madonna
Uhm. Duh! Who wouldn't want to be be her royal Madgesty's kid? I think she's pretty strict, though, I've seen some interviews about her parenting style and we'd probably clash heads BUT can you imagine growing up with Madonna as your mom? I wonder what kind of sex talk she gave Lourdes? One thing I do know is she is one of the FIERCEST celebrities in Hollywood who never backs down and has always paved her own path in life. From Madonna, I think I would learn a lot of ways to be powerful, healthy (have you SEEN her body!? She's got a better bod than most 20 year olds!), and determined. Personally, I think she'd make a great mom!

4. Rosa Parks
I can't imagine facing the kind of discrimination that Rosa Parks did or handling it the way she did but holy hot damn, I would have LOVED to have her as a mom because of the lessons she taught the world. Rosa, for those of you in the "don't know" was an African American civil rights activist whom the U.S. Congress later called “Mother of the Modern-Day Civil Rights Movement.” On December 1, 1955, Parks became famous for refusing to obey bus driver James Blake’s order that she give up her seat to make room for a white passenger. Imagine the stories at the dinner table that night and being so proud to have a mom who made a difference. From Rosa, I think I would have learned respect, compassion, pride and to stand up for what you believe in.

5. Jann Arden
I love how Jann LOVES her parents. I think that in itself would make her a great mom to have because she knows the value of family. Can you imagine being the 16-year-old coming home from a break up with your boyfriend and having Jann be the one to comfort you? I bet she would have the best advice, sing you a song then make you laugh. LOVE her!!




6. Cher
Cher is that mom who would understand you no matter what and accept you for who you are know matter WHO you were. She's strong, independent, and does her own thing no matter what anyone else thinks. Having Cher as a mom would force you to be open-minded, to see people for who they are not what they look like, and show you that it's OK to not follow the crowd.


7. Amelia Earhart
She was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic. Booyah! What kid wouldn't want to have a mom who blazed such a trail for women? Forget the fact that she disappeared over the Pacific Ocean, Amelia would have been someone who would have told the most amazing bedtime stories!



8. Arlene Dickinson
Before I met Arlene last week at the AWE Conference and asked her to sign my book, I asked her in front of 250 people if she ever felt like the token female on the Dragon's Den. I swear to WINE I heard crickets before she gave a very clear, "No." When I had the chance to explain that I didn't mean for the question to come out that way, she was very gracious and laughed it off before signing my book:

Arlene is funny, down to earth, self-made, and a great example of a mom who would do anything for her kids. She is candid about her life as a single mom, and she doesn't pretend to be perfect. She strikes me as a mama bear and I can't say I would want to piss her off if I were her kid. Just sayin'.






9. Danielle LaPorte

Yeh yeh, we're practically the same age but this is all for fun so just go with it. Danielle is badass spirituality with no pretense of yogi blah blah "If you're not within you're without" crap. Yes, I said crap because as much as I like to live in my little Zen bubble, the authentic core of who I am is still pretty edgy WHICH is why I would have loved to have Danielle as a mom. Or a sister. Best friend? Whatevs, this is my blog and I will have her in my Top 10 if I want to :D

There is such a peaceful aura around Danielle but there is a realism about her that is so down to earth and HONEST about her that you can't help but adore her. Besides being brilliant, cool and inspirational, Danielle still drops the F-bomb and has a bit of an inappropriate side to her. I can only imagine the deep conversations to be had with her about life, spirituality (she had a private meeting with the Dalai Lama), and self-respect.

10. Kris Jenner
Who WOULDN'T want to be part of the Kardashian empire?

I am SO freakin kidding. No way in hell, I wouldn't even have traded my own mom for Kris Jenner. Bet the look on your face was similar to this:

Thoughts? Am I missing anyone?




  Return to You Are FIERCE

No comments:

Post a Comment